Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Time I Caught God Gambling



In the fall of 2015, I thought God was calling me to a big adventure-something that would finally take my passions and preparations and put them to use. I recall two specific moments. One was when the Holy Spirit impressed on me to remove my shoes during worship – I was on Holy Ground this day unlike any other.  The second was while worshiping, I was praying the lyrics of a song and felt Him approve of my prayer, “Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my savior.”

As the months unfolded, change came in the form of a move to a new city (and all that entails) and an empty nest. I was ready for anything! I got busy looking for the big adventure, asking, seeking, knocking, and putting myself “out there,“ but nothing happened. Nothing at all. For whatever reason God was just shutting all kinds of doors. Then he was shutting every door. I couldn’t get a door to open to save my life.

If you called it a midlife crisis and you wouldn’t be wrong.  I had thought my identity was in Christ prior to this time, but I was quickly and painfully learning that I really did have my identity tied up in the roles that were now over or severely decreasing in importance.

I came to the shocking truth that it wasn’t enough for me just to be a child of God. It wasn’t enough just to be a wife and mom of adult children.

I felt miserable about myself. I think it’s fair to say I made everyone close to me miserable, too. That just added to the guilt and despair.

I struggled for about a year and a half with this and then one day I was offered a dream job. My spirits instantly soared! I was absolutely giddy with delight! Someone valued me!  "I’m so happy! This is GREAT! This is the prize for all the suffering! Then the little voice in my head whispered, “If you take this job, you will have failed at being content in God.”  I was a little sad at the thought but I quickly abandoned the thought and rationalized that I really needed a job and this job would be a once in a lifetime opportunity! I had to take it.

Except the offer ended up disappearing. No explanation. A very nice rejection letter, but no explanation.

Not so valued after all. But it was an opportunity to do the hard work of getting right with God. I reluctantly accepted the challenge. (God’s grace comes in the most unlikely packages.)

Through all the ups and downs, as hard as this season was, I’d still open my bible.  I’d still force myself to go to church or listen to bible studies, all the time wrestling and trying to make sense of everything. Even when I can’t make sense of any of the mess, what I do know, I KNOW.

The tomb is empty.

Sometimes all you have to cling to is what you’ve already settled as truth. And the tomb is empty.

It was months later, while on a long run, when otherwise completely unrelated events and people came together in my mind and changed my perspective. What I knew about creation, the state of our world until Jesus returns, the plot of the enemy of our soul, the promise of hardship, the promise of joy that can be ours in the midst of it, and my heart’s desperate cry to not be miserable any more all rolling around in my brain.

“Have you considered my servant, Rachel?”

I heard those words in my head and it changed everything.

Everything.

God’s betting on me. And he’s betting on me because he knows I’ll win. Because he’s won.

Then I heard this: “You’ve taken two years of rest and made it labor.”

Ouch.

Scripture from the Old Testament and New starting to weave a tapestry in my head that made everything make sense. 

Better to be in the wilderness WITH God than in the Promised Land without him- I get to BE with GOD! While this world is real and what we do here matters, this is NOT our home! He’s preparing a forever place where we get to be with him!

Joy is a choice! It comes with trust and trust comes from faith and faith placed in the One who is raised from the dead is well placed!

I know God counts my tears and holds them in his hand. They matter to him. He can keep count of them without harm.  When I count them, I focus on sadness. Instead, I get to count the times he takes me from Glory to Glory.

.Hear me:  None of the situations that had me in despair had changed. Not one. 

But my perspective has and it has made all the difference. God can take any of our years- all of our years- and with faith in him, they can all be rest in the midst of hardship. It really is a choice. I choose faith!

God IS my big adventure! He took these two years to sift out some junk so that I could have HIM in ways I had not experienced before! He has been preparing me for this for YEARS!  How amazing is that?! 

By his sweet grace, he actually DOES have some neat stuff prepared for me! I get to be the girl who gets to love Martin well so he can be all he needs to be as he serves the 101st Airborne!  I get to be the mom who encourages and loves on her two precious daughters as they make their way in the world!  

But even if I didn’t have those things, I get to worship the God who made me simply because it was his sheer delight and pleasure to do so! He set his heart and mind on making me “just-so.” 

Almighty God just really desired to have me to love and enjoy forever.


That makes me giddiest of all. ;-) 





No comments: