“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot." Jesus - (Matthew 5:13 NIV)
"If the meat is rotten, it's the salt's fault." - Glenn Sunshine
Let the smell of our rancid culture fill your nostrils as you meditate on those words for a moment.
The modern American church is not operating with the same influence she has in the past. Why not? At least two reasons pound in my head, but I'll focus on just one for now.
We aren't obedient to God.
Is God still the same he was yesterday, today and will be tomorrow? If so, then he still requires obedience. God's expectation of obedience and warnings against the contrary saturate Scripture. From "you will surely die" in the garden, to Deuteronomy's "observe the commands" and "keep his ways", to the reminder in Hebrews of those who "did not go in [to the Promised land] because of disobedience" with a plea to "make every effort...so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience" in Hebrews, Scripture cries out to us that obedience is critical.
Just in case you think I'm calling us to legalism, I'm not. Here's how I understand it: Salvation is free in the sense that we could never afford it or earn it. However, if we receive it (humbly and gratefully) it will be demonstrated by our desire to be obedient even though we will, being fallen creatures, fail at times. Daily we are to pick up our cross, share His yoke, carry a (comparably) light burden, and make every effort to enter his rest, dying daily to the flesh. All of this done through the power of the Spirit living in us, not in our own power. Easier said than done-yes! Worth striving for-absolutely!
When God's people remember his ways and walk humbly in them, they and the cultures they live in have been transformed and blessed. It's his promise and it's a fact. I beg you to consider our role and our responsibility.
Enter the insanity.
We see the problems, pray about the problems, form committees and write all kinds of books about the problems. We go to conferences, look at graphs and charts about the problems. We pray for the Second Coming (and it can't come fast enough!) and we hide from the problems. We want to solve the problem every way except the way God instructs. And we continue to do these same things expecting a different result.
GOD HELP ME, WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO CALL US TO OBEDIENCE?
Occasionally, and in different forums, I'll hear about this miraculous time in history called "The Great Awakening". It's spoken about with such nostalgia and romance. So, why aren't preachers lining up to deliver the sermon credited with the final push that birthed that baby? Perhaps "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" doesn't seem loving. And we are all about loving (as defined by our culture, not Scripture). Given that the result was a Great Awakening, shouldn't we at least consider a re-run?
Based on the Word of God and the history that has proven it, I believe the Holy Spirit won't move that way again until / unless we are called to and respond appropriately with obedience. I've been hearing of small pockets of believers praying the words of Isaiah,“Woe to me!...I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips...” (Isaiah 6:5 NIV) and I share their cries.
Naaman was willing to do some things for a healing, but not the one thing required of him until finally his suffering out-weighed his pride and he obeyed. How much suffering will it take before we will humble ourselves to the point of obedience?
Healing beyond our imagination awaits us if we are willing.
Biblical references from "YouVersion" Bible App, NIV
No comments:
Post a Comment