The good news is Phil Robertson doesn’t give a flying
squirrel what A&E or anyone else thinks of him. He knows to Whom he is accountable.
I read the article in GQ.
I also read the post by Dr. Albert Mohler who believes Phil should have not even done
the interview because “GQ…a ‘lifestyle’ magazine for men… is not looking for
Sunday School material.” Surely, Dr. Mohler isn’t suggesting we’re only supposed to give people what they
want, not what they need? That we need
to be cautious about the message we share based on how much harm may befall us?
(By the way, I firmly believe this is
what is wrong with the American church in general- consumerism in the pews
leads to watered down preaching.) GQ and Phil both knew the rewards and ramifications
of this interview. GQ wanted to sell
magazines at best, bait Phil and try to get him fired at worst; Phil’s vision
was on something more eternal.
Dr. Mohler described Phil as “crude” in his language
regarding homosexuality. That may be a
bit harsh considering the venue, context and the actual terms to which he is
referring. When we classify words used
in medical dictionaries as “crude”, may I suggest we have a problem. The
crudeness, numerous uses of profanity and at times bordering on disrespectful
tones came from the author of the GQ article, Drew Magary. He even titles his interview in such a way as
to push the envelope, for crying out loud. ("What the Duck?")
I, for one, stand with Phil.
Al Mohler has a lot more smarts than I do. I've benefited from his wisdom in times past. There’s no doubt he’d beat me hands down at a
game of Bible Trivia. His reach and
impact are greater than mine will ever be.
( I think two other people besides my immediate family members, under
great coercion, even read my blog.) But I know one thing; my God gave Phil
Robertson a platform. He gave him a date
to meet with Mr. Magary to speak some plain Gospel truth. Phil did “serve the cause faithfully” in my
book and he did it in a forum reaching men who otherwise would never have given
him the time of day. He witnessed to his
interviewer and offered him truth and love and a desire to call him “brother”.
A&E, it's time to stand apart from the crowd and allow people the freedom to speak freely without fear of retribution. Christian, it's time to speak up and embrace the inevitable retribution.
After all is said and done, if Phil Robertson, a man of
simple needs and great wealth, doesn’t take the opportunity to speak truth plainly
when it presents itself, who will?
Albert Mohler, "You Have Been Warned - The 'Duck Dynasty' Controversy", Thursday, December 19, 2013. http://www.albertmohler.com/2013/12/19/you-have-been-warned-the-duck-dynasty-controversy/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=you-have-been-warned-the-duck-dynasty-controversy
Drew Magary, “What the Duck?,” GQ,
January
2014. http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-robertson Seriously, this article isslap full of profanity. Proceed with caution.
Photo from GQ http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2013/12/the-gospel-according-to-phil.html
2 comments:
I am blown away by all of this. Why in the world can someone not say what they believe and not get blown up by people, media, anyone? For the love of Jesus...I want to be like Phil. Be bold people. STand up for the truth. The end. Sin is sin and we are all committing it. Homosexuality just happens to be "the hot topic" of the day. Good grief. I won't apologize for what the bible says. Disagree if you want, but dang...leave me/him alone. And A&E is stupid. They knew what these folks stand for.
Did you read this? http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/12/19/dear-ae-congratulations-you-just-committed-suicide/
Post a Comment