Monday, October 28, 2013

Quest to Fulfill the Cultural Commission

When asked, "What do you think about...? " don't we salivate at the chance to give our opinion? We'll even give it when we are not asked as evidenced on any social media forum.

But are we informed thinkers?

Do we pick an opinion and then seek to find evidence to back it up or do we invest the time to unpack the information and then once we've done our homework, speak out with confidence.  The effort we put into forming our views should be more than what it takes to decide what shoes go with our outfit. And yet, I'm sad to say, some very loud opinions on very important cultural issues haven't gotten as much attention as our closet when we got dressed this morning.

As a Christian, I'm supposed to be transformed in my way of thinking by renewing my mind. Doing this will help me develop the mind of Christ.  Shouldn't I find out what God thinks and then live that out? As I begin to think more like Christ I'll act more like Him, too.

According to the cultural commandment given before the Fall, we, being made in God's image, were created for the purpose of being God's stewards of the earth. "Be fruitful, multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it [using all its vast resources in the service of God and man]; and have dominion over ...every living creature that moves upon the earth." Gen 1:28, Amplified The Triune God of the Bible did not leave us without instructions, wisdom, and answers to how he intended for us to care for his creation.

This is the quest I am on-to discover what God says about how he wants me to do his will here as it is done in heaven. You see, all of the earth and everything in it is the Lord's (Deuteronomy 10:14) and we are his stewards.

You are invited to join me if you like. I've decided that the Jesus who died to save me, deserves all of me. That means committing to deny myself daily, picking up my cross and following him.

This is not going to be easy. Or comfortable. Let's face it, it holds more promise of being painful than anything else. Pick anyone in Scripture who gave themselves over as completely as they knew how and they had a hard row to hoe.

But Jesus is worth it. 

You are welcome to join me. Leave questions, comments, but let's promise this much to each other; we will seek truth above all else. We may not get all of our answers this side of heaven, but God will give us all the answers we need.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Make me uncomfortable, Lord. Stretch me.

I love ya RC!!